These tacos are tasty and you can do your own variations. They are fabulous served with pickled red onions (See the recipe for Brussels Sprouts Tacos for directions), flour tortillas, and feta cheese.
• 1 Tbsp. olive oil
• 1 c. roughly chopped sweet onion
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1–2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
• 1 tsp. dried oregano
• 1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
• 3⁄4 c. canned crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
• 1⁄4 c. chicken stock
• 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
• 3 c. shredded cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works!)
• 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas
• 2 ripe avocados, sliced
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 1/2 cup diced red onion
• crumbled cotija cheese
• 1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Heat a large skillet over medium. Once warm, add the oil and onion.
2. Sauté for 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
3. Stir in the chipotles, oregano, and cumin, and toast for 1 minute.
4. Add in the tomatoes, stock, and salt. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 7 minutes.
5. Blend: Place the tomato mixture in a high-powered or regular blender, and blend until smooth.
6. Return the blended sauce to the pan over low heat. Add the chicken, and cook for 5 minutes. Taste and add more salt, if necessary.
7. To assemble, top the tortillas with the chicken and garnish with the avocado slices, cilantro, red onion, and cotija. Serve with a lime wedge for squeezing.
Recipe adapted from PinchofYum.com